Thursday 29 September 2011

New article published on electoral reform


My latest research article has been published in the journal Contemporary Politics. It is available online here: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13569775.2011.597146 (or email me for a copy!).

The article looks at why electoral institutions change. This question has been explored with respect to electoral systems (See the work of Alan Renwick etc.). However, there has been very little work on why other electoral institutions change.

In this article I look at election administration. I consider whether political elites seek to change election administration for partisan interest in the UK, Ireland and USA. I find new evidence that they do in the UK and USA, but less so in Ireland. The article builds a model to explain the conditions under which elites will seek to manipulate elections for partisan interest.

The arguments in this article are developed in my forthcoming book, to be published next year with Palgrave.

No comments:

Post a Comment